I remember how confused I was when I created my first SEO copywriting proposal. I had a long list of questions but was extremely short on answers.
– Is there a standard freelance writing proposal format that I should use?
– Should I include a cover letter with a freelance writing proposal?
– How specific should the proposal be?
– What are the essential elements of a copywriting proposal?
I scoured the Internetz for some examples of copywriting proposals — and while I found plenty of information related to writing and submitting copywriting proposals, I soon became frustrated by the lack of actual examples that I could look at, examine and use as a rough guide to work from.
I thought it might be helpful to new freelance copywriters if I shared a recent SEO Copywriting Proposal that I sent to a client. I’m not suggesting that this is a good freelance writing proposal, but it will serve as a guide. Take from it what you can.
Freelance writing project proposals may be submitted either in response to a set of detailed requirements that are defined by a client in a formal Request for Proposal; or as a general pitch to potential clients for a project. Either way, your proposal should clearly articulate the needs, objectives, solutions, timelines and investments for the project.
Sample Freelance Copywriting Proposal
Proposal to Author a Personal Brand Strategy and Online Portfolio
Bellingham SEO Copywriting
This sample freelance copywriting proposal from Belligham SEO Copywriting includes:
1. A sample copywriting proposal cover letter
2. A sample copywriting proposal index and/or outline
3. A sample copywriting proposal identification of need and opportunity
4. A sample copywriting proposal objectives, goals and pitch
5. A sample copywriting proposal implementation plan and incentives
6. A sample copywriting proposal investment summary
7. A sample copywriting proposal project summary
8. A sample copywriting proposal terms and conditions
1. Your contact info should be on the header of every page.
2. Your client’s full name and address.
3. Include the name of the Proposal your are submitting and appreciation.
4. What solutions does your proposal guarantee?
5. How does your proposal respond to the client’s need?
6. What qualifies you to get the job done?
7. Call-to-Action – what should the client do next?
8. Your signature and restatement of value or call to action as a P.S.
Sample SEO Copywriting Proposal Index and Outline
Sample SEO Copywriting Proposal Introduction Cover and Identification of Need and Opportunity Section
Sample SEO Copywriting Proposal Objective, Goals and Pitch
Sample SEO Copywriting Proposal Pitch
Why should the client choose you for this job? Make sure to include samples of work, links to examples and related information. Make the proposal a living document.
Sample SEO Copywriting Proposal Implementation Plan and Investment
In this section, you should outline the steps you will take to implement the job. For this proposal, I created phases of work and each phase included its own investment value.
Sample SEO Copywriting Proposal Implementation Plan and Investment Section – Page 2
Sample SEO Copywriting Proposal Implementation Plan and Investment Section – Page 3
Sample SEO Copywriting Proposal Implementation Plan and Investment Section – Page 4
Sample SEO Copywriting Proposal Project Investment Summary
Sample SEO Copywriting Proposal Project Summary
Sample SEO Copywriting Proposal Terms and Conditions
I hope that this example of an actual freelance copywriting proposal from Bellingham SEO Copywriting helps to make your job of sending your first proposal a little easier.
Remember to make every proposal unique for each client. Your proposals will be more successful if you listen closely to what the client needs and then structure your proposal in direct response to those articulated needs.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions or send requests for clarification — and never assume what people want.
Please share your own personal experiences with sending or receiving freelance copywriting proposals. What worked for you? What didn’t work? Do you have your own example to share?